Monday, May 11, 2020

What a wild ride!


A ROUGH JOURNEY
Yes, I admit it. Over the past two years, I’ve neglected this site. It was a rough journey. I went through a very emotional breakup, relocation to the other side of the country and tons of other stress. In the mist of it, I had a tongue-in-cheek but informative article on this site go viral, which should have been a good thing, but instead brought me in contact with some very humorless and toxic people who seemed to be unhappy with the direction of their careers and wanted to take out their frustrations on me. 

OH, THE BURN OUT
Well, enough was enough. I suffered a social media burnout. It was time to retreat to what was most important to me- the art. As an artist, I‘m more of an introvert anyways. We slave over our work, often by ourselves, in deep concentration for most of our lives. I have a fear of crowds and large spaces and tend to be most comfortable by myself. Occasionally, I’ll come out from under my rock, as if to prove to the world, and perhaps myself, that I’m not a hermit.

NO MORE
No more of that bullshit. No more proving shit to anyone. No more neglecting this site. No more allowing myself to be over-stimulated by social media or its numerous trolls. 

THE TURNING POINT
This year was a turning point. In June 2019, I fired my boss and decided to focus on my own company, one that I’ve incorporated nearly 20 years ago and I haven’t looked back since. My new focus was on commercial art; freelancing as a logo designer and art consultant. The results have been tremendous. I’ve since rebuilt a sizable and respected client base, which brought me to the conclusion that I’ve only been holding myself back all of these years by working for others and not believing in myself. I wish that everyone could experience the newfound freedom that I’ve discovered. However, I understand that not everyone is in the position to quit his or her job and make a leap of self-trust. 

NEW REALIZATIONS
Now with the challenges of the Covid-19 virus, it has help me regain my focus. I realized that my talents aren't really for me at all. Most of my life I've used what I'm good at, in art and music, to try to bring other's dreams to fruition, bring them happiness or escape from the stresses of life. I'm now able to see the impact that my work has on others. I feel like during these times, this is more necessary than ever. That is why I choose to continue to move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment